Thursday, June 03, 2010

A Wedding in May...

I want to write about the colourful wedding reception that took place in Subang Jaya recently. I have written about wedding before and I thought that this time I am doing it differently. It is also a story of how the GPS got me there and meeting so many relatives in one go. So folks here it goes.

We received a wedding invitation from one of my many cousins. He is hosting a reception for his eldest daughter wedding at his house in Subang Jaya. It is on the other side of the city. Now that I am no longer that good in driving to those places, I have to think seriously whether to go or not. In some case I would not go to attend to such function but for this wedding reception I am making an exception. I would be attending it. Not only the invitation is from a cousin [Saifuddin] but his spouse [Rogayah] were at one time an office mate of my spouse when both of them were serving Telecoms Malaysia. So we decided that we must make a point of attending this Wedding Reception. [In the image on the left; the host is the couple on the right lovely holding hands]

One that day March 15, 2010 just before noon guided by the GPS in my car I drove the Honda taking the route as suggested by the GPS guide in the form of a woman voice synthesizer. I follow the direction indicated by the GPS and with ease arrived at the destination in Subang Jaya. What a relief that I arrived at the distinction without a hitch. Had it not been for the GPS I do not believe I could have reach the destination that fast and easy. I found a parking spot nearby and parked my car; then we walk to the reception area.

Out-front of the house a grand white canopy was especially erected to house the many guests. One reason that we decided to attend this function is that we are sure to get to meet many of our relatives, most of whom I have not met for a very long times. After meeting the host we went around to look for the other relatives. Sure enough there are many of them who had arrived earlier and already sited enjoying their meals. I look around the table and met all the relatives of my age group who had gathered there. Like me they all are in the golden age now. Some I had not met for years, so it really takes times before I could recognize them. At the same time I got to meet the younger relatives as well; the many nephews and nieces that are too many to remember their names or recognize their faces. Anyway it was indeed great to get to meet so many relatives from near and afar there that day. It is not always that one gets such an opportunity. So the reception became sort of a meeting of friends and relatives other then of course to attend this special reception for the wedding of the cousin's daughter.

As for this happening it was a Wedding Reception for Fatihah and Najib whom I believe are both in their early twenties. It does remind me of our wedding in the sixties, we too got married in our early twenties. Like all wedding reception this one was colorful too with the pomp and splendour that made such occasion a joyous gathering. Malay wedding reception at home is a rather informal gathering; where folks would come dress as they like but true to the tradition they all came in their best of dresses. The women folks especially are dressed in a multitude of colours, turning the atmosphere into a sort of a fairyland. From the look of it everyone was enjoying the sumptuous foods, as well meeting and chatting with relatives and friends. A joyous event indeed.


Have a nice day.

[Note: some images here are stolen from the Facebook Wall of relatives- Azreen Azahar, Mutalib, Abdul Al Waled[Nora Zaini's Ixus]

10 comments:

Al-Manar said...

Pak Idrus
So you have GPS in your car. How out of date I am not having one - simply because I do not need one in my great city of K Terengganu. I dread the day I have to attend a wedding in KL. I can get to KL withot GPS, but have to rely on one of my children to get wherever it is. I was lost on so many occasions. Now I wonder whether it is not too late in the day to learn operating a GPS. A good idea from you that is.

~CovertOperations78~ said...

My heartiest congratulations to the bride and groom! This must be a good month for weddings, because I have received several invitations already. Have a good week, Pak Idrus!

Pak Idrus said...

Al-Manar,Pakcik Hassan, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on this subject of this posting especially the GPS.

Although I have live in KL for some 38 years but now I just could not get to all the places by driving, so the GPS come in very handy indeed. Punch the address and just follow the direction and you get to the destination with a peace of mind.

Like you I could drive from point A to B only, like KL Kuantan, KL Malacca but going anywhere from there is a nightmare. So the GPS became very handy indeed. Just punched the address and it would guide you with ease. So now I relied on this gadget to help me to navigate my way to places that I would otherwise would not go.

My advice is get a GPS and download the latest Malaysian map which includes Singapore and you are on your way to a peaceful driving.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

~Covert_Operations'78~, Ee Lynn thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting.

Well,it the school holiday and folks found that this is the best time to organized wedding so that friends and relatives could easily attend. I like to attend wedding reception for there I more often than not get to meet friends and relative, which otherwise would not be possible.

Have a nice gay.

Temuk said...

Pak Idrus
I was told by many, it's good to have the GPS especially because, nowadays, the maps are always up-dated. We may think we know the way, but because of the construction of new buildings, junctions and over-head bridges here & there, familiar roads become strange to us. I believe the GPS is a useful innovation especially for the GPS themselves, the Golongan Pemandu Sesat! Salam bahagia.

Pak Idrus said...

Temuk, thanks for the visit and sharing your thought on the subject of the GPS. Golongan Pemandu Sesat, that is indeed a good one. I never thought of that but I think it is a perfect.

I declare that I sesat often now so the GPS is my good companion to get around so that I no longer sesat and . It has voice synthesizer and give perfect guide. The technology is really great and I think you should consider get one. It worth it.

I would get really depressed when I got lost, so the GPS real help. Well folks of our age group should think seriously of getting this wonderful gadget.

Have a nice day.,

Berisman said...

Pak Idrus,
Welcome to the world of GPS!I am glad to know that you had successfully used it to weave your to Subang Jaya.I would be lost there if not for my GPS.I still use GPSr even to places I know because it also tells me my time of arrival and when I have to detour due to traffic jam,the GPSr will re-calculate my new route to the destination.
-Adib

Pat said...

How lovely - a wedding! I love them, mainly because, for me, they symbolise a belief in happiness to come!

I wish the young couple many happy years ahead!

Pak Idrus said...

Berisman, Adib thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of GPS.

Yes the GPS is a very valuable tool to travel with ease now, especially for folks like me who get depressed easily when getting into a traffic jam or lost my way. With the GPS I found that I could relax when driving.

In the past when I did not use GPS and got confused about the route, I get extremely jumpy and depressed which is unhealthy for my health.

BTW Temuk define GPS as Golongan or Gang Pemandu Sesat and I agree with him, had it not been for the wonderful GPS, folks in their golden age would be often lost [sesat].

Have a nice day and Happy GPS.

Pak Idrus said...

Pat, thanks for the visit and the good words on Wedding.

Agreed with you that wedding is an institution that if nurtured well would bring lots of happiness for the couple. It is also sort of an adventurous journey, which I often refer as a journey of life. If both the couple cooperate and share burden plus lots of understanding, the journey would be a wonderful one and both would surely be happy.

Have a nice day.