Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Of Golden age...

Folks, This is from an email I received from a friend who now live in Bali. It is a message full of wisdom. I enjoy reading it and am sharing it here for all to enjoy it as well:-

THIS ONE IS SOOOOOOOO TRUE -Old age...


I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful.
But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART!

MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER AND EVER! FRIENDS FOREVER!

14 comments:

Sizuka said...

salam Pak Idrus,

thank you for sharing. the email touches my heart :)

louis said...

Hi Idrus,

Yes, that great freedom that comes with aging: well worth the wait.

But AWAS re some of the other joys: easy on the dancing: fractured hips take a while to mend. And if a spouse catches you weeping over some lost love, you'd continue weeping, in a hospital bed.

Other than that, enjoy the desserts INSTEAD of dinner when you feel like it.

NanaDJ said...

Salam Brother,

How true and am enjoying the twilight time.

mamasita said...

Lovely lovely! Thanks Pak!

Pak Idrus said...

Sizuka, thanks for the visit and the greeting.

I am indeed happy that you enjoy this posting. But do not forget to enjoy your youth as well, for that period is not long and you must make full use of it. Dress well, eat well, dance and party as you like because when you leave your youth period things would not be the same anymore.

Without experiences during your youth you would not be able to appreciate the happening in the golden age. Take care.

Pak Idrus said...

louis, thanks for the visit and sharing your valuable thoughts on the subject of this posting.

We are enjoying our golden age now simply because we enjoy our youth and at that time thought of our future, that is the period of our retirement. And because of that wise decision we are reaping the benefit now. And as you said rightly we can now have what we like, even skipping dinner and have dessert instead. Have a nice day.

BTW did you pass this to Elena. Take care.

Pak Idrus said...

NanaDJ, thanks for the visit and I am indeed glad that your enjoy this posting. Because we invested well during our youth, we are now reaping the benefit of that wise investment.

Sis, it is time to enjoy life and contribute whatever to the society. In my case I am sharing my thoughts through blogging.

Have a nice day and take care.

Pak Idrus said...

mamasita, thanks for the visit and the greeting. I am indeed glad that you enjoy this posting.

As we know now that because we took real care of our kids by pampering them with love, we are now enjoying that investment that we put in our kids by not dumping them in boarding school. The bond between us and our kids are strong and as I can see it you are having a great time with your kids as they grew up under your care. Just like my spouse and I.

Because of that strong bonding my kids and grand kids are now pampering my spouse Nenek and I with loves that are beyond our expectation. Indeed a bonus at this age. I believe you would enjoy it too when you reach my age.

Have a nice day. Take care.

seniorsaloud said...

This email has been going around for a few years with minor changes. I have a version of it on my blog at http://seniorsaloud.blogspot.com/2008/09/old-age-is-gift.html. It is still worth a re-read. A timely reminder that old age is to be enjoyed, not dreaded. Thanks.

Pak Idrus said...

el-f, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the subject of this posting.

Things on the Internet remains perpetual and since this article is still evergreen, I thought that it worth sharing. It look like others enjoy this piece and it does make them happy.

Agreed with you that we all should and must enjoy our golden age.

Take care.

Unknown said...

Yes, it is good to recycle old stuff.

Pak Idrus said...

Zaharan Razak, thanks for the visit. Yes I thought so too. Take care..

me said...

Dear Pak Idrus,

Love your post. Such a beautiful piece, so well written!
Would love to grow old to be someone like you!

Pak Idrus said...

me, thanks for the visit and the good words on my kind of blogging.

As been old, you would get there eventually. In the meantime do go and enjoy life.

Have a nice day.