Monday, June 09, 2008

The wonder of Internet....


It was hot here on Sunday in Boston. I found this patio with a table at the back of our daughter's home at Somerville and decide to blog the day away from this vantage point of the house. I love this patio, it remind me of my patio back home in Ampang Jaya. It is nice to be outdoor, a bit cooler then in the house. Well, as usual with the writer in me, I would just write whatever in my mind at this moment in time. Well, let see what has happened on that morning.

As usual when I switched on my computer, the grand kids email address would appear on my radar- the MSN Messenger or the Yahoo Messenger. I switch on the web cam and soon we are connected with those kids and their Mom and Dad at Ampang Jaya. With the technology we are on a video talk, just like seeing them next door. It is a wonderful technology that put people in touch with love one anywhere in the world, with us in Boston; in the early morning and them; in Ampang jaya in the evening. As usual we chat and view those cheerful faces back home and I believe they are doing the same seeing their auntie Lin; the new doctor in the house and of course the grandma. Beautiful what technology has done to our world. Imagine what it would cost to make such a call before the internet and web cam. Now it is just easy to get connected both the voice and images. Indeed a wonder of technology. making our world as colorful as ever.

And in the midst of this a Boston blogger Anasalwa call on the cell phone. I had given her my cell number and she just call. She announces her real name and we talk as thought we had known each other for a long time. We have not met before but in cybersphere we are already friend. Like just the other day I got to speak with Louis and Rita in Seattle, now I had the opportunity to hear the voice of Anasalwa. It was real nice of her to call and she invited us to meet downtown but because we had other plan, I told her that we would meet on another Sunday. She passes the phone to another stranger, a Wan Zaid and we talk and he gave me his number as well. It was nice of them to call and I believe it is going to be the beginning of a new friendships. Well, blogging do bring people together and with that it spread the culture of love and the wonder of living both in cybersphere and the real world. Have a nice day.

6 comments:

Berisman said...

Pak Idrus,
I am glad to know that you are enjoying yourself in Boston.Btw, Wan Zaid is my schoolmate.If you meet him,pls convey my salam to him.I tried to contact him when my son was in Boston late last month but I could not reach him.

--Adib

Pak Idrus said...

Adib, thanks for the visit and the good words on me in Boston. It is rather hot now here but then everywhere the weather has changed.

I am glad to know that Wan Zaid is your schoolmate. I have his number but it is his home number only and cannot SMS.

Hope that you are in the best of health yourself. Have a nice day.

Pak Zawi said...

Pak Idrus,
Thanks to the internet, we are always in contact even when you are away in Boston. I am sorry for not being able to join you in video conferencing very often as the timing seems to be very wrong. Very often when you come in its time for me to go to the surau for the maghrib prayers which often leads to Isyak. Don't be misled by my IM or YM that when I seemed to be on it could be my daughter that is online since I have put them all on auto connect.
Working outside of the house is convenient too for me as I can save abit on electricity not having to use the aircond or even the fan and the natural light is more than enough.
Salam kami kepada Kak Asmah.

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

pak idrus,

my brother at some stage of his life resided in newhampshire, which i believe just mere kilometers away from boston. from his experience gathered, these parts of the US are are not as hectic as say, NY and LA. laidback and peaceful. while you're there, how about venture a bit further north to the state of maine. that was where the original Salem's Lot was actually shot.

*heard from reliable source you'll be making a trip literally across the states to meet up another blogger...hehehehhehehe...

Pak Idrus said...

zawi, thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on the wonder of the Internet.

While we were here we get connected so easy with each other. At time whenever I am seen on the radar at the kids home in Ampang Jaya, they would lock in and I would get stuck on video call with them and could not take other calls, so sorry folks about that. Anyhow when I am not busy I am more then happy to get connected with you folks back home.

Have a nice day.

Pak Idrus said...

kerp(ph.d], thanks for the visit and sharing your thoughts on living in this part of the world.

We stayed for a year in 1998/99 in Boston and have visited all the New England states and enjoy those trips up to the Canadian boarder. In autumn or Fall, the foliages is just heaven, golden and all the shades of red and yellow.

While here I planned to travel a bit, visiting relatives and friends wherever possible. And blogger are among those friends that I intend to meet.

Have a nice day and take care.