Wednesday, March 24, 2004

You know I bought a new car today.... No No it is not a new car..... I just bought a car.... Well I am confused ..... I did bought another car..... Yes I did bought a car..... It is not a new car.... then what it is.... a second hand car.... No it is not..... Well I just bought a vintage car..... That's it... A Vintage car..... A Volvo 122s manufactured in nineteen sixty six... So it is thirty eight years old..... That is my second car now.... A new toy of a sort to play around.... It is in a almost perfect condition and I love it..... so is my wife.... Crazy you say buying an old car and happy about it.... Yes... Many of my friends in the 'Kelab Volvo Kelasik [Volvo Classic Club] own these vintage and there are some hundred over of them that still have this old classic, are members of this club in Malaysia.... So I am not alone owning this vintage car..... so there are many crazy people around I supposed..... like me..... So how do I start to get into this crazy vintage affairs.... It all started like this..... In the sixties when I was rather young... at that time we could not afford to own a Volvo.... Only those 'rich and famous' at that time of our history could afford to buy one..... We just could admire and just dream of getting one..... It was beyond our budget at that time..... I just had to be contented with the Fiat six hundred...... Japanese cars were unheard of during that time... not like now, Japan makes the best cars and I love those new Japanese cars and at present own one of the latest...... In those days it was the continental cars, which most people could not afford to own one......Well as I have relate in my blog sometime ago.... I use to joins trips organized by the KVK whose members own these Volvo classic and after a few trip I got interested or somewhat renew my liking to this Volvo that I once admire..... As we all know that they do not make this model any more and so I start the search for the car..... And after a while with the help of my dear friends in the club..... I was told of a really good car which is for sale from one of the club's member..... A Volvo 120s built in nineteen sixty six, a Vintage ...... Without even looking at the car I decided to buy and Boy!!!.. It turn out to be a really good buy.... the car was in a perfect condition..... It was indeed Godsend, a sort of a gift, a dream came true..... A dream in my youth and realized in this golden age...... Well with that I am now eligible to be a full pledge member of the Volvo Classic Club [Kelab Volvo Kelasik]..... Now that I own this beautiful classic..... I had to learn to drive it.... it did not have an automatic transmission and no power steering...... since I am use with the modern technology in the cars of today's.... It take some doing to get this beau moving..... It actually did not take long and I am already driving it around my neighborhood..... A crazy old man driving a vintage Volvo..... the only one in this vicinity..... What a great laugh!!..... On the first day I took our grandchildren around in this 'new' car and they were delighted and amused to be riding in this grandpa's new toy... Well there were three generations in the car at that time... Me, the grandpa, their dad and them.....Having fun in a old vintage car, that their grandpa once dream of having one in his youth and only now He did own it......It is just like a time travel... in a movie.... but in this case it is for real.... A car built in the sixties and still running around in this millennium...... What a Machine!!... What a life.....Fulfilling grandpa's dream.....A piece of history in the development of technology..... the Volvo 122 S......

No comments: